CWA to Host Huge PRO Act Webinar Thursday
The important labor bill is being held up by three Democratic Senators
As the debate over the PRO Act heats up, the Communications Workers of America (CWA) are holding a webinar to inform their members about the important bill.
The Protect the Right to Organize (PRO) Act is a historic piece of legislation that will put power in the hands of workers and reverse decades of legislation meant to crush unions. The bill will completely change labor law as we know it and shift power away from CEOs to workers. The bill would:
- Protect strikes and other protest activities. The bill will make it illegal for employers to permanently replace striking workers and make secondary strikes and boycotts legal.
- Make it easier to bargain. The bill will eliminate obstacles for workers to get their first union contract.
- Help strengthen protections for workers forming a union. The bill will establish compensatory damages for workers and penalties against employers when they fire or retaliate against workers for forming a union.
- Prevent the misclassification of workers as independent contractors.
- Deal a blow to so-called “right-to-work” laws.
The PRO Act has been passed by the U.S. House of Representatives but is stalled in the Senate. President Biden has said that he will sign it and urged the Senate to pass it during his recent joint address to Congress last month.
The webinar is being put on by the District One of the CWA. During the webinar, the CWA will explain the bill to their members as well as discuss how the PRO Act would even the playing field for workers against the CEO’s, who are in the 1%, and continue to gain power. You can register for the webinar by clicking here.